Sunday, October 21, 2012

Remembering Walter

I accidentally deleted this, an am posting it again.
Life has been full of motion and work and love of late. But I wanted to pause and remember my Dad today. It's been 25 years since he died, which just seems impossible. It's been so much longer...it was so much more recent...depending on the day. I've thought a lot about the day he died, 7 months after a cancer diagnosis. I thought of his choice not to have chemotherapy after the first couple of treatments. I've thought of the last few weeks of his life. But what I want to say here, is that in my child's memory of him, there is just so much love. And it feels unconditional when I recall it. And that is important to me, even if I am mis remembering. Even though my older siblings had much more difficult relationships with him. I realize that he mellowed a great deal, and I am grateful that in the path of my life I had his gentle, reassuring love for 14 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment